RE: netconf WG charter proposal

At 02:59 PM 4/14/2003 -0700, Faye Ly wrote:
>Andy,
>
>If XML monitor/notification is standardized with configuration, yes.  Or
>else if we are trying to identify which SNMP notification matches to
>what interface or instance in the configuration, no.  Ethernet0/0 is
>still a simple case.  Take a look at the CIDR table and also table
>indexed by DisplayString.
>
>I honestly think that having to focus on the configuration only is a
>well defined goal for this discussion group and standardization can be
>achieved.  If this group is trying to do all three, XML SMI seems to be
>un-avoidable.  What do you think?

This WG is not trying to create standard data models or a new
data modelling language.  That will need to be done at some point,
probably by a different WG.  The protocol does not rely on any
particular data model design.  We will attempt to identify any
coupling between the protocol and data modelling capabilities,
but not design a new SMI.

>-faye

Andy