RE: netconf charter proposal - rev B

At 06:57 PM 4/7/2003 -0700, Branislav Meandzija wrote:

>This looks very good. The one thing that may be helpful but may not be possible, is to have a paragraph that states how this is intended to complement SNMP and any other solutions sanctioned by the IETF. Kind of put the whole thing into perspective.

I don't know what to write here that would represent an
official IETF (or IESG) position, and not my own opinion.

>I haven't really followed the entire saga here (although I have witnessed the lily presentation at the IETF) but this is kind of a major step for the industry!!! Have you guys really thought out this one carefully?  My guess would be that the greatest peril of this is that it will make vendors stop doing SNMP agents and just manage devices  using CLI scripts. And, the greatest loss will be all the standard MIBs (the end of the standards based network management era).

IMO, this will represent the beginning of standards-based
network configuration, not the end.  There are lots of
operators who are not using SNMP to configure their networks.

As I stated before, I seriously doubt any vendor will yank SNMP
code from their products because they add support for netconf.

There is no reason the semantics embodied in standard MIBs
cannot be preserved as they are converted to a syntax that
is compatible with the netconf protocol.  There is no reason
to believe standard data model work will stop.  It will likely
evolve, but not stop.

>Branislav

Andy