RE: netconf charter proposal - rev B

> >This looks very good. The one thing that may be helpful but
> may not be possible, is to have a paragraph that states how
> this is intended to complement SNMP and any other solutions
> sanctioned by the IETF. Kind of put the whole thing into perspective.
>
> I don't know what to write here that would represent an
> official IETF (or IESG) position, and not my own opinion.

My plan is to write an ID that we can IETF Last Call for BCP
that will describe the IETF current thinking on NM protocols.
Or some such. I am not ready to publish even a first rough draft,
cause I do want to get NETCONF started first.

> >I haven't really followed the entire saga here (although I
> have witnessed the lily presentation at the IETF) but this is
> kind of a major step for the industry!!! Have you guys really
> thought out this one carefully?  My guess would be that the
> greatest peril of this is that it will make vendors stop
> doing SNMP agents and just manage devices  using CLI scripts.
> And, the greatest loss will be all the standard MIBs (the end
> of the standards based network management era).
>
> IMO, this will represent the beginning of standards-based
> network configuration, not the end.  There are lots of
> operators who are not using SNMP to configure their networks.
>
> As I stated before, I seriously doubt any vendor will yank SNMP
> code from their products because they add support for netconf.
>
> There is no reason the semantics embodied in standard MIBs
> cannot be preserved as they are converted to a syntax that
> is compatible with the netconf protocol.  There is no reason
> to believe standard data model work will stop.  It will likely
> evolve, but not stop.

Right. WE have SNMPv3 and SMIv2 at full IETF STD level.
We also have a number of MIB modules at STD, many more at DS
and PS. No need to trow that away.

Also... keeping SNMP for monitoring (or even for control and/or
configuration for those technologies where people want to use it)
is OK.

My intended ID should say something about that.

Hope this helps,
Bert