RE: Goals for netconf - moving towards the charter description

HI,

The following is a clarification to what Margaret had in her message
to answer some of your questions....
1) what are the resources needed to run NETCONF?
In the "ideal" environment, only a single TCP connection is needed,
over which BEEP framing is used for the three NETCONF channels. And
depending on the security setup and needs, IPSEC or SSL(TLS) may also be
included (at the proper place). It is anticipated that were will be
no requirement to have a "complete" XML parser on a managed device,
and depending on the data model definitions, it should be possible
to hand craft a lightweight XML parser. I don't believe that there
is any requirement to support HTTP, since BEEP does not require it,
but there is probably a usage case that I've totally forgotten.
If BEEP is not available, then a separate TCP connection is used
to support each of the three needed channels. In this case,
the SSH can be used as an additional security mechanism.

2) Is the configuration content that is applied in NETCONF operations
   the "complete" configuration for a device or a "partial" configuration?
The configuration content can be either, and the operation determines
if the configuration content replaces existing configuration or "merges"
with existing content.

3) Do you get back a single result (like in SNMP operations), or
   can you get back multiple application level errors?
The NETCONF protocol allows multiple application level errors to be
returned. And note, the number and types you will see can depend on
strength of referential integrity that you have specified in your
data model! There are some vendors whose CLI allows you to reference
items that don't exist. Other CLIs require you to create an item
before it is referenced, and don't allow it to be deleted before
all references are removed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
/david t. perkins