Re: Goals for netconf - moving towards the charter description

David T. Perkins wrote:
 It is anticipated that were will be
no requirement to have a "complete" XML parser on a managed device,
and depending on the data model definitions, it should be possible
to hand craft a lightweight XML parser.
I think that is a risky proposition. The real benefit of XML for configuration data is that I can use the plethora of XML tools out there to edit, store, and manage my configurations. The XML that these tools spit out could be anything legal within the scope of the XML recommendation. I dont want to get device configuration errors when I place such a document into XMLConf, because the XML parser in the device doesn't support this particular required feature of XML.

This was raised as an issue during the meeting by Graham Klyne, I believe, and I agree with his point that if you say XML, you need to do XML, and not a subset.

-Jonathan R.

--
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D. 600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Scientist Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711