Re: SNMP improvements

HI,

On the following...
At 07:48 AM 9/18/2003 -0700, chintan sheth wrote:
>So are we going on the path where netconf protocol is
>expected to replace SNMP completely? For SNMP lovers
>this won't be good news.
>
>thx,
>chintan
For the people that I have worked with in the IETF, many for over
12 years, the issue is not whether or not the management protocol is
SNMP, but whether or not that cost effective management will be done.
Over this time, there have been many proposals for new management
approaches. Typically it goes like the following:
  1) someone comes up with a simple approach to solve a small
     problem
  2) they believe that it can be used to solve other problems
  3) in attempting to develop it and deploy it they find:
      a) limitations of the approach come to light
      b) the true costs become clear, and are typically higher than thought
      c) the data model becomes messy due to
         i) continued support for deployed products
        ii) creation of support for new technologies before
            the usage issues of the technology is fully understood
            (A fundamental problem of management - until you build
             and deploy products with a new technology, you do not
             know what needs to be configured, and monitored.)
After it is all done, there is been little real progress. However,
there are aspects of the XMLCONF proposal that excite some of us
that if may provide some real forward progress.