RE: SNMP improvements

Hi,

SNMP has never been good at configuring an entire device because the
mibs needed to do so are not available (except in rare instances), and
the efficiency characteristics of the SNMP protocol don't map well to
full-box configuration needs.

I think SNMP will continue to be used for monitoring and notifications,
for some incremental provisioning and operational adjustments, and for
troubleshooting some aspects of device operations.

CLI scripting is much better suited to full-box configuration, but
suffers from a lack of standardization and a consistent programmatic
interface. In my view, the proposed design of netconf focuses on
standardizing the protocol aspects of a full-box scripting-like approach
to configuration, providing a programmatic interface, and, over time,
standardized data modeling.

So netconf is focused more on replacing (or standardizing) a CLI
scripting style of configuration, not on replacing SNMP. At least that's
my view of where things are going.

My $.02

dbh