RE: SNMP improvements

Hi,

Comments inline.

In my experience, this bias to provide backwards compatibility comes
from the vendors' customers. We have many RFPs that include SNMP,
requests for additional MIB objects for both read and write purposes,
and compatibility with existing SNMP applications. Vendors have
requirements that theoretical protocol designers don't have.

> There aren't really 'SNMP people' in the
> netconf WG.  There are 'network management' people.

My reference to 'SNMP people' was to network management people who have
traditionally worked on SNMP within the IETF.

> Those
> who expect netconf to reinvent SNMP will be disappointed
> in the outcome.

I don't think many people are expecting netconf to reinvent SNMP. But
netconf will not replace SNMP either, so we need to continue working on
SNMP.

The political environment in the O&M area, whether this is caused by
vendors or ADs or operators or other persons, is discouraging to people
who want to get anything done on SNMP in the IETF.

dbh