Re: SNMP improvements

>>>>> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 07:48:24 -0700 (PDT), chintan sheth <shethch@yahoo.com> said:

chintan> So are we going on the path where netconf protocol is
chintan> expected to replace SNMP completely? For SNMP lovers this
chintan> won't be good news.

I think we should have one protocol not multiple protocols to do both
configuration, monitoring and notification delivery.  *If* we are
going to use netconf/XML in the future, then we should use it for all
3 tasks.  It would be a mistake, IMHO, to mix-and-match protocol and
data sets as it would require a huge amount of overhead to convert
internal data between the two protocols.  The netconf leaders state
that monitoring is not in their target area, which I think is a huge
mistake (it should do all or nothing).  However, the protocol already
has monitoring features in it even though its not required by the WG.
Thus, I suspect we'll end up ok in the future.  It'll be a long way
down the road before anything replaces SNMP, if SNMP is replaced (it
could be proven to be superior to netconf for monitoring (likely for
performance reasons)).