[idn] some thoughts & a call for a "known issues" list for multilingual domain name deployment

I would like to extend John Klesin's comment on a hasty conclusion towards
ACE-on-application-only approach.  I cannot agree more that we are not in
the position yet to go full steam ahead exclusively in this direction.  The
report from the design team have confirmed that we think that ACE might not
be the best solution but is a good quick fix scheme.  Although we may not be
able to come up with the "right" solution (though I see good possibility
that we can), or may be as Harald said that this might belong to another wg,
but we still must figure out the what ifs after we deploy ACE and how we
might eventually be able to end up, at the end of the day, with the "right"
solution.

We should therefore figure out a way out of the mess before jumping fully
in.  That is, we should have a better understanding of how to transition out
of ACE before deciding to take the leap of faith into ACE.  At this point,
we simply do not have the entire understanding and therefore should wait.
Waiting doesnt mean however that we stop progressing.  On the other hand, we
should continue to pursue to determine "the" flavour of ACE we think makes
most sense.  This also solves the chicken and egg problem whereby we need to
know what the ACE is before understanding how to transtion out of it.

Moreover, there was a very good comment raised on the issue of what actually
will happen if we push 8-bit queries accross the DNS, perhaps we should look
at the real issues in this now as even if we go with ACE there will be an
inevitable spill of these queries out there as end user uses a
non-ACE-compliant application.  I suggest we start to compile a "known
issues" list for all the problems that might arise when multilingual domain
names are used.  In fact the end result of this might be an Informational
RFC for considerations in the deployment of multilingual DNS as well.  What
are your thoughts?  If this is a good thing, perhaps I could take the
initiative to start off with an initial set and let everyone contribute and
edit it...

Edmon