[idn] comment on the TRACE

Edmon,

From: "Edmon" <edmon@neteka.com>
Subject: Re: [idn] NSI whitepaper on ML Resolution
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:14:15 -0500

> I would really like to hear some comments on the TRACE-CNAME approach.

My understanding about TRACE is that TRACE is not an ACE. Because,

- the prefix of TRACE, 0x7f, is a control character, not an ASCII.
  (I wonder how users can input the prefix. One of the important
   benefit of ACE is anyone can input it by typing or cut and paste.)
  ASCII in IDN manner is characters allowed in STD13.
- using non-ASCII characters on DNS needs update of DNS servers.

So, I think you have to have transition strategy from ACE to TRACE
before transit from TRACE to UTF-8.  Isn't it an overhead?

--
Yoshiro YONEYA <yone@po.ntts.co.jp>
           aka <yone@nic.ad.jp>