Re: [idn] draft-klensin-dns-role-00.txt and the author's presentation

As I mention during the meeting, John's proposal has a wider impact then just
I18N.

I agreed with John's that we have lost the short-term 'war'. However, because
the WG was first formed to do requirements analysis and extend to do protocol
only recently, I guess it is kind of expected.

My worries is that such radical solution would push the long-term solution to
a VERY long-term solution, once again, bringing chaos longer. There is always
a fine balance of doing the right thing and doing the right thing given time
constraint.

Personally, I think DNS is due for a major revamp but I am not sure this WG is
the right one to do it. However, it would be nice to hear what others think in
this respect.

It is probably too premature to second guess what DNS-next-generation would
look like but I have some wishlist:

a) A consideration for Internationalization/Localization (better than IDN)

b) A consideration for Security (better than DNSSEC)

c) Lets go for a truely distributed structure with no centralized registry
   model. No place to have control or politics (lets all give ICANN a break),
   but no place for monopoly either. This is more of a architecture change
   rather than protocol tho.

-James "speaking for myself" Seng