[idn] draft-klensin-dns-role-00.txt and the author's presentation

Hi.

I observed John Klensin's presentation at the Monday slot of IDN in the
IETF meeting.  I also read through the IETF Draft.

I agree the points made in John's presentation and I-D.  At the same
time, I think it's obviously about locating resources on the Internet
in general including web page addresses (which may or may not be
URL/URI currently used/discussed) and email addresses.  His points are
all relevant even if we use only ASCII characters.  There is no doubt
it's related to IDN, but it has much broader scope.  This is implied by
the title of the I-D though.

Having said that, my interpretation of his presentation is "now is the
time to rethink and overhaul the current resource locating schemes in
which DNS has the central role."  After the overhaul we might end up
having a next generation DNS with directory like feature or some
hierarchical directory scheme with an innovative design concept.  Or we
might introduce a generic resource locating layer between application
and DNS.  All Internet applications including web and email would
eventually be based on the new resource locating scheme.

John, is this what you really mean?  Do you have any particular plan to
form a BOF or WG for it?  What other IDN folks think?

Regards,
Hideyo Imazu.