[idn] VIDN

I promised to send my comments to the mailing list on VIDN.

I believe I am not only speaking for myself when I make these comments so if
other people in the WG (other than the authors of VIDN disagree), please feel
free to correct me.

a) VIDN assumed that all non-English domain names are transliterated into
   English for current domain names which is seriously questionable. Sure,
   it works for Korean, but what about other languages?

b) The NICs are responsible for operation of the ccTLD. Assumption that
   the NICs have the skill and capability to do language transliteration
   standardisation is once again beyond comprehension. (Some of the ccTLD
   may have such skill but they are not common.)

c) Certain languages are used across different countries who may decide
   different transliteration rules. Worst, VIDN assumed that it is possible
   to have unified transliteration rules for each language.

d) Certain languages which share the script which is used across different
   countries.

e) Certain names may have contain different set of script which makes such
   transliteration system probably difficult.

Going finer to the detail:

f) The round-trip conversation is preserved by associating the names with
   an number ID. The I-D did not mention how this ID is assign, transmit
   and use.

g) If VIDN names requires ID to resolve ambiguity, then look in another
   perspective, this ID could be the Unicode Codepoint of the IDN. And
   if ACE/UTF-8 is also a representation of Unicode Codepoint, it can
   be concluded that this ID is no different from ACE except it is assigned
   as a number. (This is the point raised out by Maynard Kang)

On the other hand, there are certain good point on VIDN (Okay, I am playing
devil adovcates again :-)

1. VIDN allows existing "some" registered domain names to be used
   without another registration.

   (I am saying "some" here because the author has claims 90% of korean
   names is working under this system but i dont think it solves the
   other languages)

2. Transliteration is definately not trival and hats off to the
   author who manage to do this for 90% of korean. It would be interesting
   to see how it would scale.

3. VIDN is in some aspect an extension of IDNA except of course a
   translitered english names is used instead of an ACE.

ps: I dont see why been aggressive and threaten me after the meeting
    would change my opinion. It is probably better to argue with me
    based on reasoning.

-James Seng