Re: [idn] Some thoughts...

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, James Seng/Personal wrote:

| Now, there is REAL pressure to produce something which is (1) Right
| long-term approach (2) Deploy Fast. Most solutions we have falls
| either in (1) or (2) and nothing we seen 2/2 yet. And all of them are
| subjective.

  This is a truism:  Good, Fast, Cheap.  Pick any two, but you can't have
all three. :-)

  [snip]

| (a+b) Some suggestion to use ACE solution and then phase towards
| UTF-8. After having run 4 testbed, 3 of them using some form of ACE, I
| am very aware of the effectiveness of ACE solutions (in varity of
| forms). My worry is that it work _TOO WELL_, so well that we end up
| with an ACE solution and no pressure to move towards the UTF-8
| solution.

  I think a two-phased implementation strategy is a dangerous one.  No one
likes to have to essentially solve the same problem twice, and multi-phase
implementations tend to assume that the first phase won't last forever so
these parts aren't engineered as strongly.  If you don't ever get past the
initial phase(s), you're stuck with a (potentially) poorly-engineered
solution.

| Now is the time to start discussing what is the right way. The design
| teams are now quite busy discussing various proposals. But I would
| also like to hear what the rest of the WG thinks...

  Are the design teams going to submit something today (which is the I-D
cutoff deadline for IETF49), or do they get some extra time?

  -bws