Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-lace-00.txt

At 14:20 11/11/2000 -0800, Rick H Wesson wrote:
>Harald,
>
>changing the prefix will not be easy operationally, the move from ra-- to
>bq-- had operational and political hurdles. Changing to the next prefix
>will require coordination between the Registry, Registrars, Multi lingual
>Technology Providers, and any one else whom happened to write some
>software that used the prefix 'bq--'

The people who though that the prefix was constant before standardization
should now have learned better; anyone who does not implement this as a
(probably compile-time) constant deserves the trouble he gets.
To my mind, software that does not implement the finished standard
correctly is a bigger danger than software that uses an obsolete prefix;
the latter will only be unable to do the Right Thing with
i18n-according-to-the-RFC name; the former has the potential to actively
harm the deployment effort.

            Harald
'
--