Re: [idn] Internationalized PTR draft submitted

> % 4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa  IPTR  zh-tw "traditional-chinese xxx.com in utf8"
> %                       IPTR  zh-cn "simplified-chinese xxx.com in utf8"
> %                       IPTR  ja    "japanese xxx.com in utf8"
> %                       IPTR  ko    "korean xxx.com in utf8"
> %

I'm totally against IPTR... but... this gives me an idea I haven't
seen yet.

What's missing from all these PTR proposals is an IANA table that
binds all languages a 32-bit integer value.

We have /etc/protocols.
Why not /etc/languagecodes?

That way you could at least know how to read the
<encoding-specific-label> following the 'IPTR' RR, and how much space
to allocate.

This would make IPTR similar to the format of MX records.

That is to say:

10.2.0.192.in-addr-arpa	IPTR	"42<ASCII SPACE><japanese xxx.com in UTF-8>"

[ where 42 is the arbitrary integer indicating japanese language strings ]

This may be appropriate for other protocols...

Marc.