Re: [idn] Re: back to the future

At 15.09 -0400 00-09-17, J. William Semich wrote:
>AFAIK, there is no "character" with the glyph : in the Latin character set.
>Patrik, can you point to where we can find such a character or diacritic or
>character part (whatever) in a UNICODE page or if not, is it defined
>anywhere else as a glyph or diacritic?

The colon which I use is 0x3a in US-ASCII and U+003A in unicode.

Anyway, the important thing is not the colon. The important thing is
for this group to choose what characters can be used in a domainname
label in an application and not.

If we look at draft-ietf-idn-nameprep-00.txt we see in section 3.5.1
that colon is not allowed because it is reserved in the URI syntax.

Not much to talk about I think...

Regardless of what my name is. We will see that some characters other
people want to have being allowed also have to be forbidden. We will
always find those. We can not stop the process of going forward just
because we happen to find another one.

    paf