Re: [idn] Re: back to the future

AFAIK, there is no "character" with the glyph : in the Latin character set.
Patrik, can you point to where we can find such a character or diacritic or
character part (whatever) in a UNICODE page or if not, is it defined
anywhere else as a glyph or diacritic?

Or is it used in Swedish more like the ASCII apostrophe in, say, the Irish
name  "O'Neil"? Meaning it is, in fact, ASCII?

TIA,

Bill

(@,
>', & is going to be more tricky...) Aside, if we allow H:son, then there
is no
>reason to forbid O'Brien.
>
>Of course, this means the application must be able to handle new form of
>parsing, understanding I18N domain names. I guess that is what IDNA is for.
>
>-James Seng
>

>Bill Manning wrote:
>>
>>         or just what IS that thing anyway?
>>
>>         the ":"  in what encoding method?
>>
>>         We've had this discussion a couple of times
>>         before and -always- end up in semantic ratholes.
>>
>>         Patricks ":" is conceptually different than the http ":".
>>         To paraphrase from the good Doctor, speaking as
>>         HumptyDumpty; "Glyphs mean want I want them to mean. The
>>         question is who is to be master?"
>>
>>         Pick an encoding.
>>

>> % James Seng <James@Seng.cc> wrote:
>> % > If RACE or some encoding which does not 7bit ASCII as-is is been
>> % > choosen (in otherwords, UTF-8 is out), then it _may_ be possible for
>> % > domain names to have ":" or punctations with some consideration put in
>> % > place without causing too much havoc.
>> %
>> % When I type http://foo:80/ into my browser, should it interpret that
>> % as host foo port 80, or as an internationalized host name containing a
>> % colon?  How would I specify the other?
>> %
>> % AMC
>>
>> --bill

Bill Semich