Re: [idn] UTC feedback

At/À 10:44 2000-08-19 -0700, Mark Davis you wrote/vous écriviez:
>You are right: the list is quite short: simply the Turkish i. French and
>a few other languages may strip accents from uppercase,

depends on where you are (back on localisation, ...). Some french speaking
countries use different rules for casing.

>  but it is
>acceptable to retain them.

for french, we should, imho.

>Moreover, there is a workaround for them:
>register 2 names (with and without accents).

well, then if you have 10 accented characters, you have to register every
combination... a lot of $$$ for the registries, but not very useful for the
user (both the registrant and the internet user that access that domain
name)... also, since the registrant wants all those  combinations to be
equivalent, then he needs to synchronise all this data together, not
forgetting one.  for example, if he wants to change its dns servers for
those domain names, then all should be changed.

>The data file for doing this is in the "[idn] UTC Feedback" message I
>originally sent out.
>
>Mark
>
>Jonathan Rosenne wrote:
> >
> > How many conflicting casing rules are there? If the list is short, maybe
> > something could be done about it. We are only interested in folding to
> lower
> > case, so we only care for conflicts where in various languages the lower
> > case rules contradict.
> >
> > For example, the Turkish I conflict could be resolved by folding all 4 I's
> > to a Latin small i.
> >
> > Jony

Marc Blanchet
Viagénie inc.
tel: 418-656-9254
http://www.viagenie.qc.ca

Normos (http://www.normos.org): Internet standards portal:
IETF RFC, drafts, IANA, W3C, ATMForum, ISO, ... all in one place.