Re: [idn] Adding "optional" characters in draft-ietf-idn-nameprep

> > transcription of what level though? between machines or at the human
> > interface?
>
> both are important.  but I think the human interface is more difficult.
>
> > which means machines are ok once they goto unicode?
>
> machines need to know how to translate IDNs from whatever
> encoding they use into unicode/10646 (for queries) and back
> (for address lookups).

That is very reasonable... why then is it not a good idea to tag the
encoding as we have suggested in a standard and easily recognizable way?

> I'm not expecting machines to "go to" unicode in general, at least
> not anytime soon.
>

> >  but I thought
> > there were suggestions to rejected some characters in the DNS such as
> > symbols?
>
> perhaps, but this would be as a matter of policy, rather than as a
> constraint that is wired into the IDN protocol.

A matter of policy for respective registries?  This I think is the most
favourable way, and I strongly agree with it instead of trying to exclude
characters within the DNS servers or protocol.