Re: [idn] Adding "optional" characters in draft-ietf-idn-nameprep

> transcription of what level though? between machines or at the human
> interface?

both are important.  but I think the human interface is more difficult.

> which means machines are ok once they goto unicode?

machines need to know how to translate IDNs from whatever
encoding they use into unicode/10646 (for queries) and back
(for address lookups).

I'm not expecting machines to "go to" unicode in general, at least
not anytime soon.

>  but I thought
> there were suggestions to rejected some characters in the DNS such as
> symbols?

perhaps, but this would be as a matter of policy, rather than as a
constraint that is wired into the IDN protocol.

Keith