Re: [idn] Adding "optional" characters in draft-ietf-idn-nameprep

> > I believe DNS means Domain Name System and not DictioNary System.  So
there
> > really should be no attempts at determining the semantics of a name or
> > character for that matter.
>
> nobody is talking about determining the semantics of a name.
> rather we are talking about how to make IDNs such that they can be
> transcribed (from viewed text, voice, or memory) with minimal
> chance for transcription errors.

transcription of what level though? between machines or at the human
interface?
You did mention that:

> again, the problem isn't the ability to represent characters - unicode
> solves that well enough.

which means machines are ok once they goto unicode?

> nobody is talking about having the IDN protocol restrict what characters
> appear - the restrictions should occur at other levels.

I am sorry for the statement if I was largely mistaken... but I thought
there were suggestions to rejected some characters in the DNS such as
symbols?  Also the idea that some of the characters of a certain language
could either be included or omitted, much like the word "colour" I would
say..., and both "form" should resolve to a consistent address... which in
my view does not align with the original intent of the DNS.

Edmon