Re: [idn] case folding

At 04:08 11/06/00 , GIM Gyeongseog-KIM Kyongsok wrote:
>On Mon, 29 May 2000, Brian W. Spolarich wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 29 May 2000, Maurizio Codogno wrote:
> >
> > | What about saying that the only case folding is [A-Z][a-z], for
> > | backward compatibility with present DNS?
>
>   considering that case folding seems quite complicated,
>i like the above idea.

The above idea breaks other Romanised languages, such
as Vietnamese, so I think its really not possible to adopt.

My alternative proposal is that we simply adopt the
normalisation rules for alphabetic letters that are
already specified by UNICODE Consortium.

Note well that I am *not* saying anything about CJK,
Thai, Arabic, or other non-Romanised languages
in this specific proposal about alphabetic letters.

>    as pointed out by somebody else (who?),
>cases do matter on Unix systems.

...and case DOES matter in URLs,
which is perhaps more to the point here.

Ran
rja@inet.org