Re: [idn] case folding

At 19:43 29-05-00 , Maurizio Codogno wrote:
>What about saying that the only case folding is [A-Z][a-z], for backward
>compatibility with present DNS?

This would create a disaster between lower-case Vietnamese d- and upper-case
Vietnamese D- with respect to URLs containing that character.  Many other
examples exist in many languages.

The Principle of Least Astonishment means that user should get the identical
web page whether they type the URL in lower-case or upper-case in Netscape.

I believe *alphabetic* characters that have 1:1 equivalents between
"lower case" and "upper case" MUST be case-mapped to the lower-case
version as part of canonicalisation.

Please note that I'm saying *nothing* about ideogram characters.

Ran
rja@inet.org