Re: [idn] canonicalization

At 03:04 28-05-00 , James Seng wrote:

> > - A proposal MUST allow any client to interoperate correctly with any
> >    server, as long as they implement the proposed protocol correctly
>
>This boils down to "The protocol MUST work." :P Can we leave this out?

No.  It says more than the protocol must work.

         Harald's statement also requires that canonicalisation has to happen
in a defined manner and a defined location for all clients and all servers.
If a server assumed that canonicalisation happened in the client and
some client assumed it happened in the server, the protocol on the wire
might appear to work just fine -- but the configuration would yield different
DNS responses from the server from the same input, depending on which client
was used and where that client wanted canonicalisation to be performed.

Ran
rja@inet.org