Re: [idn] host name vs. domain name

> Rather, I would agree with kent's idea shown below.
> As I understand it, we are trying to get rid of the concept of host names
> and use domains in telnet, web, etc. eventually.

	Host names are a subset of domain names.  The point I am trying
	to make is people on this list are using the two term interchangably
	and they are not.  There are domain names that are not host names
	and that is a fact that you cannot change.

	When you are referring to the subset of domain names that refer to
	hosts please use the term "hostname" or "host name".  When you are
	referring to all domain names then use the term "domainname" or
	"domain name".

	To put it a different way.  Apples and oranges are both fruit.
	When you want to refer to fruit you use the word fruit.  When
	you want to refer to the subset of fruit that are apples you
	use the word apples.

	Host names are equivalent in this metaphor to apples.
	Domain names are equivalent in this metaphore to fruit.

	We have people on this list say that all fruit should have
	red/green skins, white flesh and black/brown seeds.  This
	is what happens when you use the wrong terms.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@nominum.com