Re: [idn] host name vs. domain name

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, Randy Bush wrote:

> > I still cannot figure out why we need to distinguish between host names
> > and domains in the new area of IDN.
>
> because, while the dns protocol places no restrictions on the octets in
> a label (see rfc 2181 sec 11), many application protocols do.  and the
> applications seem to think they're talking about hosts (when i suspect
> that they're really talking about interfaces:-).
>
> randy

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000 Mark.Andrews@nominum.com wrote:

=  	    Telnet uses host names.
=  	    Email uses host names or mail domains (these should both be
=  	    syntactically identical).
=  	    HTTP uses host names.
=  	    Traceroute uses host names.
=  	    hosts.equiv uses host names.
=  	    host.allow/host.deny uses host names.
=
=  	Personally I would like to see a similar distinction with IDNS.
=  	i.e. any character in a international domain name, a very
=  	restricted character set(s) in a international host name.

then we have four concepts:
  - 1) current host name and 2) current domain name;
  - 3) int'l   host name and 4) int'l   domain name;

currently, we do not use current domain name much.
in the same manner, we will probably not use int'l domain name
much on the internet either.

therefore, if we follow the usage of the terms host name and domain name,
then we, people in IDN WG, are trying to set up int'l host name.
why do we bother to define int'l domain, which won't be used much
on the internet.

am i missing something?

KIM Kyongsok/GIM Gyeongseog, Busan National Univ.
gimgs@hangeul.cs.pusan.ac.kr, http://hangeul.cs.pusan.ac.kr/hangeul/
Ph: +82-(0)51-510-2292, Fax: +82-(0)51-515-2208