Re: [idn] Proposed suggestions from Asia Pacific Top LevelDomain meeting

> <smaller>Niklas.=C5berg@=C4lvdalen-skog.se.  And so on for the worlds
> all</smaller>=20

	Because you could not encode the above email address in
	the DNS with then restrictions people on this list seem to
	want to put on international domain names.  The IETF does
	not allow periods in interational domain name labels.

	Or sorry you can't a a SRV record to redirect http for
	=C4lvdalen-skog.se to a different set of boxes.  The IETF
	(through the idn working group) was too short sited to
	fully internationalise the DNS, they just internationalised
	host names and underscores are not legal in hostnames.

		e.g.
			_http._tcp.\196lvdalen-skog.se

	Or to put it another way IDNS will not get past the IESG
	and IETF last call unless it deals with all domain names
	and not just host names.

	Can you now see why I am trying to point out the distinction
	between domain names and host names.  Can you also now see
	why we need to define what is a IDN and what is a IHN.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@nominum.com