[idn] host name vs. domain name

: > On Mon, 6 Mar 2000 Mark.Andrews@nominum.com wrote:
: > >
: > > 	Personally I would like to see a similar distinction with IDNS.
: > > 	i.e. any character in a international domain name, a very
: > > 	restricted character set(s) in a international host name.
:
: 	Windows 2000 makes extensive use of domains that are not
: 	host names.
:
: 	Hesoid makes use of domains that are not host names.
:
: 	Mark

Thanks for your information.
I am still confused.  I don't know for what Win 2000 uses domains.
However, if Win 2000 uses domains but does not communicate with
other systems, we will not see much effect on the Internet.
Therefore, I still  cannot figure out why we need to
distinguish between host names and domains in the new area of IDN.

Rather, I would agree with kent's idea shown below.
As I understand it, we are trying to get rid of the concept of host names
and use domains in telnet, web, etc. eventually.

Am i missing something?

= The entire point with this exercise is to eventually be able to use
= "internationalised" what-ever-you-want-to-call-it for identifying
= web sites as well as e-mail "sites".  I.e., the point is to eventually
= allow HTTP and ESMTP/something to be able to access sites like=20
= www.=F6land.se and send/recieve e-mail with adresses like
= Niklas.=C5berg@=C4lvdalen-skog.se.  And so on for the worlds all
= languages/ortographies.  If that is not the goal, then all of this is
= entirely futile.  Apart from that, I don't really care what you *call*
= those names (domain names, host names, whatever-you-fancy).
=
= 		/kent k