Re: [idn] Openendedness of Unicode/10464 (was: RE: [APTLD iname 24] Re: [id n] Proposed suggestions from AsiaPacific Top LevelDomain meeting)

At 19:11 04.03.00 +0100, Karlsson Kent - keka wrote:

>Non-identifier characters (like symbols and punctuation, except a small
>number of them) should be policed against *by the name registries*,
>but *not by IDN implementations themselves*.

Don't forget that 99% of names on the Internet are allocated by local
administrators, NOT by the registries - because they are not second level
domain names, but allocated UNDER those domain names.

At that point, it may be VERY wise to encourage implementations to "police"
the registrations (with suitable possibilities for overrides, like BIND has
today), since that's the only "policing" that exists.

I agree with you in principle - the transport protocol MUST remain able to
transport (nearly?) everything, and the matter of which characters to
choose to transport is an usage matter, not a DNS protocol matter.

But this group needs to consider that matter too. Carefully.

                 Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no