Re: [idn] Proposed suggestions from Asia Pacific Top Level Domain meeting

Comments on issues that haven't been discussed yet.

>Issue 2: Resolve any domain name anywhere.
>
>We refer to Section 2.1, paragraph 1.
>
>Recommendation:
>
>We feel it is best phrased as "...to allow any system anywhere to
>resolve any
>Internet multilingual domain name..."

"multilingual" isn't really appropriate here. "internationalized" is more
accurate.

>Issue 4: The requirement should concern with protocol, not
>implementation.
>
>We refer to 2.1 paragraph 1, on the phrase "DNS interoperability".
>
>We feels that the word "interoperability" is unfairly bias that
>implementation
>has to "interoperability" even with broken implementation. However, we
>have no
>proposal on the replacement for the word but we would appreciate a
>proper
>rephrasing to reflect this principle.
>
>No recommendation at this moment.

Maybe "DNS protocol interoperability" would suffice.

>Issue 5: What is a current domain name? What is IDN?
>
>We refer to Section 1.1, paragraph 2.
>
>RFC1034 Section 3.5 is a poor definition of domain name. A better one is
>
>RFC1123. However, we also noted that even RFC1123 is not sufficient to
>define
>a host name and domain name properly.
>
>We need a properly definition of label, domain and host. It is funny to
>note
>that we are doing IDN without even able to properly define IDN.
>
>Recommendation:
>
>We need more data and information and give a better definition.

How does this sound:

"Current domain name" is defined as a domain name that contains only the
characters U+002D, U+0030 through U+0039, U+0041 through U+005A, and U+0061
through U+007A, and which begins with any of these characters except U+002D.

"IDN" is used in this document as an abbreviation for "internationalized
domain name". This is defined as a domain name that contains one or more
characters that are outside the set of characters specified for current
domain names.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium