Re: [idn] Re: IURI questions

At 11:30 03.03.00 +0100, Maurizio Codogno wrote:

>I still wonder if we should encode characters using just the original
>character set allowed in DNS.

Remember always the distinction between DNS transport (any byte goes) and
DNS-using applications with hostnames (almost nothing goes).

>If we do not want to add "odd" characters as "%", a solution could
>be using underscore "_" as escape char. We already know that, even if
>_ is not officially blessed, it has been used anyway, so existing base
>should not be affected: and if someone used __ in a domain of his, it's
>a problem of his :-)

_ is policed against in some nameservers - the same ones that dislike other
"strange" characters; BIND has this as a configuration setting.
So it is not any better than % or / or + in this regard.

          Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no