Re: [idn] Re: IURI questions

Harald:

> >I still wonder if we should encode characters using just the original
> >character set allowed in DNS.
>
> Remember always the distinction between DNS transport (any byte goes) and
> DNS-using applications with hostnames (almost nothing goes).

yup, I did not express myself clearly (as usual :-( )

What I meant was something on the lines of
"if BIND had officially to recognise the fact that people
used _ (if only to require people to allow this character explicitly),
it means that usually applications may recognize it, even if it is
not allowed as an allowed character in hostname generation".

But if you state that some application spits whenever it finds a _
in a hostname, I cannot but believe it!

ciao, .mau.