Trad/simplified (Re: [idn] Re: Agenda Item for next UTC: Normalizing CaseMapping)

At 05:56 19.02.00 +0800, James Seng wrote:
>Yes, now you getting it but not completely.
>
>I agreed that ISO10646 defines characters, not semantic meaning.
>
>But you can consider it 'accidential' that almost every word in Chinese has a
>meaning because that is the nature of the language. ditto for kanji.

You make the traditional/simplified distinction sound very much like the
European cyrillic/latin distinction.
A few languages (Armenian, the late unlamented Serbocroatian) have been
written using both, in which case you need equivalence rules that tell you
when a word is the "same" between the two spellings.

I think I see a requirement looming.....

"Within a single zone, the zone manager MUST be able to define equivalence
rules that suit the purpose of the zone, such as, but not limited to, and
not necessarily, non-ASCII case folding, Unicode normalizations,
Cyrillic/Latin folding, or traditional/simplified Chinese equivalence. Such
defined equivalences MUST NOT remove equivalences that are assumed by (old
or local-rule-ignorant) caches."

We'll have to define "equivalence" somewhere too - it and its equivalents
have been bandied about much too loosely.

                     Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no