RE: [idn] Comments on protocol drafts

> From: RJ Atkinson [mailto:rja@inet.org]
> I'll also note that ISO-8859 and UTF-8 do not support all
> European languages
> equally well, nor does either support other Romanised
> non-European languages
> (e.g. Vietnamese) equally well.

I don't understand.  Do you find minor differences in the length
of octet sequences between encodings to warrant a statement of
"does not support ... well"?  I find it nearly, though not totally,
irrelevant.  Certainly UTF-8 supports very many scripts world-wide,
which none of the 8859 parts do, nor ever will, even all together.

And we are not talking about tebibytes or pebibytes of "8-bit"
data (per server) here, are we?  (Or are we??) The only concern
is that we might hit a specified (and slightly conservative)
number of octets length per name limit, in the event of rather
loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong names.  (Although
that limit appears very hard to change, unfortunately.)

		Kind regards
		/kent k