Re: [idn] Comments on protocol drafts

At 12:02 PM 2/8/00 +0900, Martin J. Duerst wrote:
>- It is desirable (i.e. not a must) that ASCII characters only
>   represent ASCII characters.

What is the technical reason for this desire in the encoding? It seems no
different to me than saying "it is desirable that ISO 8859-5 characters
only represent ISO 8859-5 characters" and so on.

As long as an all-ASCII domain name part such as we have today never has a
second, different encoding (and we already have this as a strong
requirement), I don't see any reason to give ASCII characters any special
value in the encoding.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium