Re: [idn] Comments on protocol drafts

At 22:00 07-02-00 , C C Magnus Gustavsson wrote:
>Ah. Sorry about that. I was comparing only to Mandarin.

All dialects of Chinese use the same written form,
mentioned primarily for those without familiarity
with Chinese.

This makes Chinese the dominant language when counting
"native" readers/writers.

>Well, what I said at least used to be the case. That list contains to few
>languages to provide us with an answer anyway.

I don't think so.  The written form of Chinese has existed
for a VERY long time.  Printing was invented and first commonly
used in China.

Lets please move past this, but lets also remember that native
users of Asian languages dwarf native users of European
languages and try to find a language neutral (rather than merely
European) approach to this issue.

I'll also note that ISO-8859 and UTF-8 do not support all European languages
equally well, nor does either support other Romanised non-European languages
(e.g. Vietnamese) equally well.

Ran
rja@inet.org