Re: [idn] Comments on protocol drafts

At 09:42 00/02/08 +0800, James Seng wrote:
> Just a general question.
>
> Does the WG wants to specify and restrict the character set (or the behavior
> of the encodig) of the possible implementation of IDN in the requirement?

We should not say that we must use Unicode, or that we must use UTF-8.
But we should collect all the requirements that may influence the later
decision in one way or another. So I think it's necessary that:

- A CCS or more are choosen that cover the range of characters
  as currently defined (and as being added) by iso 10646/Unicode.
  (I would consider this a must).

- It is desirable (i.e. not a must) that ASCII characters only
  represent ASCII characters.

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org