Character definition (Re: [idn] RE: alpha v0.3)

At 21:13 04.02.00 +0100, Karlsson Kent - keka wrote:

>Some comments on the draft requirements doc.:
>
> > A character is the smallest component of written language that has
> > semantic value. A character has a single abstract meaning and/or shape,
> > but not a specific shape.
>
>Both of these sentences are objectionable.  A character is rather
>smaller, usually, than anything that has a *semantic* value in any
>sense. Nor does a character have a single abstract *meaning*.
>
>I don't have any really good substitute sentences to suggest right
>now.

Since I think we agree on using ISO 10646 for our character references, why
not use the ISO 10646 definitions?
I'm sure they are objectionable to some too, but at least they're a
specific point of reference, and the fights about their definition are well
known.

At the moment (draft text for edition 2), they are:

4.6 character: A member of a set of elements used for the organisation,
control, or representation of data.

4.8 coded character: A character together with its coded representation.

4.9 coded character set: A set of unambiguous rules that establishes a
character set and the relationship between the characters of the set and
their coded representation.

4.20 graphic character: A character, other than a control function, that
has a visual representation normally handwritten, printed, or displayed.

There are more definitions - the text is available from
http://anubis.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n2005/

                             Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no