Re: This WG in context of RFC 2277

At 02:28 PM 1/28/00 +0800, James Seng wrote:
>Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
> >
> > At 10:23 AM 1/27/00 -0800, Andrew Draper wrote:
> > >But this brings out another important point.  Is "should try hard not to
> > >change other protocols" a requirement of the internationalised DNS
> protocol
> > >or not?  I would argue that it isn't.
> >
> > And I would argue vociferously that it is. Having domain names that can be
> > used in some applications but not others completely breaks a fundamental
> > assumption of Internet users.
>
>But we should also consider that it is likely any proposal of IDN will affect
>other protocols and applications in some way or another. The thing is how much
>you will affect it. Therefore, a "must" requirement on this is a bit harsh and
>I would rather make this a "should".

We're talking about the requirement to try hard nt to change other
protocols, not the idea that we aren't going to look at what changes.
Andrew wanted to drop the requirement to try hard not to; I disagreed with
that. Whatever we do, we should look at its effects.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium