Re: This WG in context of RFC 2277

Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:

> At 10:23 AM 1/27/00 -0800, Andrew Draper wrote:
> >But this brings out another important point.  Is "should try hard not to
> >change other protocols" a requirement of the internationalised DNS protocol
> >or not?  I would argue that it isn't.
>
> And I would argue vociferously that it is. Having domain names that can be
> used in some applications but not others completely breaks a fundamental
> assumption of Internet users.

But we should also consider that it is likely any proposal of IDN will affect
other protocols and applications in some way or another. The thing is how much
you will affect it. Therefore, a "must" requirement on this is a bit harsh and
I would rather make this a "should".

I am not saying this group should make any modification to other protocols. It
is really up to other WGs. But the group should make a stand to review the
effects of IDN.

Note: IDN = Internationalised Domain Names. And domain names are used in a lot
more places then DNS.

-James Seng