Re: An argument against multiple character sets

Actually, browsers are not suppose to DNS convert to UTF-8, at least not yet.
Doing this 'smart' conversion have many impacts on the IDN WG implementations.

For example, of the problem I faced with this Microsoft UTF-8 approach is that
when I key in double-byte DNS URL, it does not know i am using a localized
encodings and thus spit out a wrong UTF-8 URL.

This is why I have alway say that Microsoft-ID is not sufficient. And to rely
on them to do the Right-Thing is a big mistake, consider we have other
browsers and OS to think about. This is why this IDN is important and we must
come out with a set of requirements so we have a guideline on what to do and
what not to do.

-James Sen