Re: An argument against multiple character sets

Hello Martin;

Sorry if I "over-reached" with my comment about Opera and UTF-8 - I was
quoting a customer, not my own experience. I just loaded and tried Opera
myself and unlike Internet Explorer, it does not send URLs as UTF-8. Of
course, it is quite happy to resolve the UTF-8 URL http://domän.se.nu at
the NUBIND name server, but it will not turn the user-input ISO-8859-1 URL
http://domän.se.nu into a query to that same UTF-8 URL http://domän.se.nu,
as IE 5 does quite easily.

Regards,

Bill Semich

 At 12:11 PM 1/24/00 +0900, Martin J. Duerst wrote:
>Hello Bill,
>
>I just tried with Opera 3.61, but it didn't work. Did I miss some setting,
>or what?
>
>Regards,   Martin.
>
>At 16:44 00/01/23 -0500, J. William Semich wrote:
><snip>

>> That's why Microsoft has adopted UTF-8 (UNICODE) as its "standard" default
>> configuration, both in IE5 and in Windows 2000 DNS. And once Netscape
>> adopts the same default "standard", both browsers will only (or, primarily)
>> send UTF-8 queries to the resolver. Our customers tell us other browsers
>> (such as Opera) can also resolve our test UTF-8 test URLs
>>
>> How to best modify BIND in order for it to be able to deal with all this is
>> probably much more important to this discussion than deciding which
>> encoding should be set as the standard, IMO. UTF-8 looks pretty "standard"
>> already, from the client/user point of view, at least.
>>
>> I'm not saying I think this "unofficial" working group should just bless
>> UTF-8. I'm saying the more important work is in developing standards for
>> upgrading BIND.
>>

>> -- Bill Semich
>> .NU Domain
<snip again>