Re: one-language solution

"Martin J. Duerst" wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand this. For the final solution, we will propose
> one protocol. If there is more than one solution, in the sense that
> I may have to use a different resolver for a different language,
> that obviously won't work. Also, if you immagine something on a billboard,
> in some cases, it's difficult to figure out which language it would be.
>
> Or are you thinking about something else?

I am sure there are a lot of problems with the operations which we can discuss
for ends, for instance, what happened if a EUC-JP DNS server receive a request
encoded in ISO-2022-JP, or what happened if your zone file is in GB, are the
hosts visible under BIG5?

This is why I think interoperability is as important as operations of these
proposed localized domain names. In the end, we may be force to live with
various localized domain names system and come out with a set of directives on
how these localized DNS interoperates.

> I really hope we can keep the solution simple. Ideally,
> the whole thing is so simple that once people use it,
> they don't realize anymore that internationalization
> was not there from the beginning.

Sound like a good requirement:

"Solution must be as simple as possible from the user persective that they do
not realise that IDN existed."

-James Seng