Re: Mixing of characters

% On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
% > while this is not strictly a technical issue, I see difficulty with getting
% > ICANN to accept the insertion of numerous non-ASCII domains in the root
% > nameservers at the same time as there is a very restrictive policy for
% > inserting ASCII domains.
% >
% > This means that if the DNS we want to internationalize is the same as the
% > normal DNS, it's a requirement that internationalization can occur under
% > the ASCII top-levlel domain labels.
%
% I think this is grossly unfair. Why should the technical implementation be
% restricted by what ICANN prefer to do?
%
% Beside, I remember our charter does not define who or what if any
% government bodies should take care of I18N Domain Names.
%
% -James Seng

	Life is not fair. We live in society and are governed by politics.
ICANN is the place that will have to decide and uphold what the DNSo and the
PSo will say, modulo common sense.

	It should be this group to define the -best- technical solution(s)
and present them for acceptance. One of the key problems is interaction with
the installed base. If you agree that we should do no harm to the installed
base, then Harald is correct.

--bill