Re: Fwd: Eeek - .NU Domains using $B%h(J , $B%H(J , $B%J(J , $B%o(J, $B%`(J - And More

At 13:36 00/01/08 +0800, James Seng wrote:

> I think I18N Domain Names must allow mix language characters,
> even across different character set.

James - What do you mean with 'character set' in this context?
As we are working on requirements, and don't want to discuss
too much about encoding yet, it's difficult for me to understand.

I agree with you that it has to be possible to mix characters
from different languages and scripts in a domain name.

What I think we should discuss a bit more is whether it is needed,
from an usage viewpoint, to allow to mix different scripts
*in a single label*. Let's for a moment exclude the border cases,
and take some clear examples:

- Is it necessary to be able to mix Thai letters and Hiragana
  in a single label?

- Is it necessary to be able to mix Cyrillic and Arabic characters
  in a single label?

- Is it necessary to be able to mix Chinese Hanzi and Hebrew
  in a single label?

- Is it necessary to be able to mix Korean Hangul and Egyptian
  hieroglyphs in a single label? (once the later are defined)

What does everybody think?

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org