Re: My prod at IDN requirements

At 18:21 00/01/04 +0800, James Seng wrote:

> > >this will be a problem if ISO10646 is used. because of the CJK unification
> > >(arggh who is the idiot?), japanese & chinese falls under the same U+4E00
> > >code space. if one folds and the other not, i think it is fairly obvious
> > >how messy it is going to be.
> >
> > Is this a fact or a "maybe a problem"?
> > I think we need to be as specific as possible here....for each folding
> > problem, name a glyph that has the problem, if possible.
>
> As I have done Unicode CJK implementation, the answer to this is it is "a
> fact". However, I do not eliminate the possibility that I am a lousy
> programmer/designer :-) Maybe someone can come up with a better design and
> algo.

If you try to do simplified/traditional folding on the server side
(which I think is what James has actually tried), then you indeed
run into problems. But while there are problems between Chinese and
Japanese, you run into problems much earlier, namely for Chinese only.
The mappings are not one-to-one, and in particular trying to map from
simplified to traditional is one-to-many (there are a few cases in the
other direction, too, but really very few).

The only appropriate solution to this problem, in my opinion, is
to not do any mapping for this on the server.

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org