Re: v6 multihoming and route filters

On 5-jul-2006, at 1:04, Marc Blanchet wrote:

What would be the purpose of filtering at /48?

- simple: through out anything longer: so /64, /56 will be filtered. end of it.

Sure, but why is that a good thing?

the fact that I'm suggesting to filter at the /48 level is just that I don't know how to build a concensus right now on another more restrictive boundary. for the global routing table perspective, I would love to recommend /32 or smaller, but I'm not sure we can get that agreement.

Well, if you look at:

http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#ipv6

You'll see:

6.4.3. Minimum Allocation

RIRs will apply a minimum size for IPv6 allocations, to facilitate prefix-based filtering.

The minimum allocation size for IPv6 address space is /32.

So this should be a no-brainer...

I don't think it's a good idea for the IETF to publish a document with recommendations unless those recommendations are clearly a good idea to follow today, and for some years to come. Once an RFC is published, it never goes away, so we should be careful about putting stuff in there that is likely to be outdated within the forseeable future.

have you read the first version of the draft (draft-blanchet-v6ops- ipv6-routing-guidelines-00.txt?

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-blanchet-v6ops-ipv6-routing- guidelines-00.txt doesn't seem to exist.

=========
IPv6 book: Migrating to IPv6, Wiley, 2006. http://www.ipv6book.ca

Mine is published by Apress, see http://www.runningipv6.net/  :-)