Re: v6 multihoming and route filters

Le 06-07-04 à 16:59, Iljitsch van Beijnum a écrit :

On 4-jul-2006, at 13:48, Marc Blanchet wrote:

And again, b) is what I'm proposing since the first (personal) version of the draft:
- filter/do not advertise any prefix longer than /48.

If we agree on this (filter/do not advertise any prefix longer than /48), than I'll put it back into the draft!

What would be the purpose of filtering at /48?

- simple: through out anything longer: so /64, /56 will be filtered. end of it.

That allows for 2^45 = 351 trillion prefixes in the routing table, which I suspect won't work too well on current routers. And it only takes a handful of /32s deaggregated into /48s to inflate the IPv6 global routing table to a size larger than the current IPv4 routing table.

the fact that I'm suggesting to filter at the /48 level is just that I don't know how to build a concensus right now on another more restrictive boundary. for the global routing table perspective, I would love to recommend /32 or smaller, but I'm not sure we can get that agreement.

have you read the first version of the draft (draft-blanchet-v6ops- ipv6-routing-guidelines-00.txt?

So filtering at /48 really doesn't buy you anything,

yes, see above: filtering any /56 or /64 or /127 or ...

Is my point clearer?

Marc.

either you don't care and/or you have large routers and then prefixes longer than /48 won't make much of a difference, or you care and/or you have small routers and then /48 is too much already.

And in theory, anycast addresses should be announced into inter- domain routing (when the anycast group spans ASes) as /128s... Or maybe that one has been removed in an update of the RFC in question, not sure.

By the way:

mysql> select count(*) from addrspace where type='ipv6' and num > 35;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|      137 |
+----------+

mysql> select country, descr as prefix, num as pfxlen from addrspace where type='ipv6' and num > 35 and not descr like "2001:7f8:%" and not descr like "2001:504:%" and not descr like "2001:503:%";
+---------+------------------+--------+
| country | prefix           | pfxlen |
+---------+------------------+--------+
| JP      | 2001:7fa::       |     64 |